There are over 300 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) codes and standards. Most likely all Dyne customers utilize one or more of the following three:
- NFPA 25 – “Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems”
- NFPA 11 – “Standard for Low-, Medium-, and High-Expansion Foam”
- NFPA 13 – “Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems”
The NFPA has a great brochure to help you understand how these codes are written. You can download the brochure at NFPA - How the process works
Realize, as a user of these standards, you can be involved in the standards writing process.
- Provide public input. As soon as a standard is released, it will open for public comment. If you are using a standard and you see a deficiency or a potential improvement, you can submit public comments. It is a very easy process that is done on-line.
a. Choose a document from the List of NFPA codes & standards
b. Once you are on the document page, select the "Next Edition" tab
c. Choose the link "The next edition of this standard is now open for Public Input".
d. Follow the online instructions to submit your Public Input.
- Provide public comments. After the public input period, public comments are allowed on the first draft of the standard.
- Apply to serve as a member of a committee. To apply for membership on an NFPA Technical Committee, select a document from the list of codes and standards, visit the “Technical Committee” tab to view the committee scope and responsibility, and select the link “Apply to Committee”. As a member, you are required to make the commitment to participate in the standard writing process and attend the first and second draft meetings which occur every three to five years depending on the revision cycle of the standard.
- Attend a committee meeting as a guest. All technical committee meetings are open to the public.
Here is the revision cycle and dates for the three standards listed above.
|Standard||Current Edition||Next Edition||Current Status|
|NFPA 25||2023||2026||Open for first draft public input now until 6/1/23|
|NFPA 11||2021||2024||First draft public comments closing date was 1/4/23. Second draft report will be posted 10/4/23.|
|NFPA 13||2022||2025||Public input closing date was 6/1/22. First draft will be posted 3/22/23 with public comments open until 5/31/23.|
If you have any questions regarding this article, please contact Dyne Fire Protection Labs at firstname.lastname@example.org or (651) 230-1177.
©Dyne Fire Protection Labs 2023